Wednesday, February 4, 2009

DCell: A Scalable and Fault-Tolerant Network Structure for Data Centers

1. What is the problem? Is the problem real?
Low bisection bandwidth, a real problem but with the same questions as for the UCSD fat-tree paper.

2. What is the solution's main idea (nugget)?
Using this recursive structure called D-cell, they can set up many paths between nodes. These multiple paths can be leveraged to get scalability, load-balancing and other nice properties.

3. Why is solution different from previous work?
Can scale to a million servers easily with high fault-tolerance, using commodity switches.

4. Do you think the work will be influential in 10 years? Why or why not?
Seems unlikely, though I can’t point my finger at exactly why not! Somehow the deployability story in this paper doesn’t seem strong and has a “if we were to do it from scratch” kind of a feel. Such designs have traditionally proved hard to deploy and hence haven’t been very influential, at least directly. Maybe ideas from this paper would get into other designs…

5. Others:
Of the three, this one seemed very confusing to read! There is too much of pseudo-code that is not immediately clear. Sure, a picture is worth a thousand words!

1 comment:

  1. I have been some problem with my connection and I thought could be my network card, how ever i wasn´t sure. So, I decided to looking for information by internet and try to understand the network problem. I am happy because all the solution which advice this blog are very useful and interesting.
    costa rica investment opportunities gave me another alternatives to do the best investment, but of course i always will need a good network.

    ReplyDelete